Wednesday 10 April 2013

Half Way There

Sitting in the Burger King (hey, baby wants what baby wants) at Singapore Changi airport, I’m feeling absolutely exhausted, like I’m being tortured!  It’s 1am in London right now and we haven’t slept since we woke at 6am this morning.  My usual bed time at the moment is 9pm (being twenty weeks preggers) so you can imagine how my poor Brad is feeling.  He never thought that travelling with a pregnant woman would be easy, but this is a new strain of wife-moaning, even for him!  Apart from having to visit the powder room (yes it really is that grand at Changi Airport) on the half hour every half hour, he has to deal with our ever increasing set of hand luggage – a woman still shops regardless of how pregnant/tired/bursting for a wee she may be!


Being pregnant has had its perks though.  Thankfully my idea of wearing the tightest, brightest pink t-shirt I could find worked in our favour.  Attention was automatically drawn to my belly and we were suddenly treated with smiles and wave throughs rather than the usual long queues.  I also perfected my tired/heavily pregnant/sore back face which wasn’t hard as I was already half way there!  No upgrades unfortunately but I did manage a loo break during heavy turbulence that had even the air stewards buckled in.  I did have to insist that I would wee in my chair if they didn’t let me go so they didn’t really have a choice.

Anyway, enough about fat bellies and toilet breaks...

As we sit here, about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime, I’m feeling a rather varied mix of emotions from scared out of my mind to truly ecstatic!  As excited as we are to move to Melbourne, London was home for over ten years.  In that time we built up a really special circle of friends, not to mention the above average number of family members we each had in the country.  To say it was difficult saying our goodbyes would be a huge understatement.  We learnt quickly to ‘rip the band aid’ and found the quicker the goodbyes hurt less at the time, although no less easy.  Brad’s folks dropped us at the airport this morning which was very emotional.  The only thing that helps is that we know both our families will be visiting in the next year.  I’m sure they’re all more interested in seeing our baby than us but we’ll take what we can get!  



Okay, so it’s time to deal with the next leg of our journey; our eight hour flight into Melbourne.  We should be trying to stay awake on this one so we can sleep through the night in Melbs but the way I’m feeling I know that won’t happen. 

See you on the other side…


Loryn x 

No comments:

Post a Comment