Sunday 28 April 2013

Medicare: The Public Health System

It's only fitting that I write this post about doctors and Medicare from my bed, where I now sit feeling very sorry for myself with a throat that feels like it's been grated and a pesty coughing fit that arrives no less than every ten minutes!  And of course, being preggers there is nothing I can take!   So I'm not leaving the bed and have no intention of getting out of my pajamas today!  

To make things worse, Brad has had what can only be food poisoning all through the night.  He's had to drag himself into work but hopefully the worst of it has removed itself from one end or the other!  (Sorry, that's gross but I need you to get the full picture!)

So let's talk about Medicare!  This is the public health system across the country and something we are very lucky to have the benefit of.  Australia and Britain have a reciprocal agreement so because we have British Passports, we are entitled to use this service.  We do have to have private health care for the entirety of our visa but no private policy will cover maternity or childbirth within the first twelve months of arriving in the country.  I've ready many forums and reviews on the public health care and, Melbourne especially, is known for it's fantastic service so we're not worried!  In fact, I've spoken to people who have chosen to have their babies in a public hospital, rather than privately. 

So how it works...

The first thing to do is to sign up with Medicare, they have offices all over the city where you can just walk in and it took us less than five minutes to sign up.  We just needed to fill in a form and let them photocopy our passports, visa and drivers licences.  I think you can provide your NHS medical card instead of driver's licence if you don't drive.    This was a week day morning so might not be as quick on a Saturday.

Unlike the NHS, not everything is free on Medicare.   For most doctor visits, you will need to pay the doctor and then claim 85% of the cost back from Medicare.  However, there are some doctors that will do what is called Bulk Billing.  This means that they will not charge you anything and will bill medicare direct for the 85%.  Although they lose out on 15% of the fee, they do not have to worry with chasing patients for the money.  Some doctors will only Bulk Bill for the elderly and those on benefits.  Some will only bulk bill during certain hours.  And some will not bulk bill at all.

Also unlike the NHS, you may chose whatever doctor you would like, there are no rules about finding one within your borough.  This means you really can shop around and find the one you like best!   I did a lot of research and read some reviews on doctors and found a really great GP that I will take our baby to as well.  It really pays to research, research, research!   That's something I've learnt since we've been here.  Time is a luxury I've had over the past few weeks and the research has made a huge difference with everything from our doctor to our house and car.  

So because I'm pregnant, I had to see the doctor before being referred to a hospital.  Now the hospital does have to be in your area so I've been referred to the Monash Medical Centre.   I've been told its a teaching hospital and one of the best in Melbourne.  So far, so good.  I had two midwives at my booking in appointment.  They work in a way that all my appointments will be on the same day of the week so that I always see the same ladies.  They will hopefully be at the birth as well and then it will be them that visit me at home after Little Miss is born.

So all in all, a very good experience so far.  I feel much better now I know where we'll be having our baby and who will be looking after us along the way!  

No comments:

Post a Comment